by Willibald Kremser, member of the board, OCG
The Austrian Computer Society (OCG)
1. Aims and tasks of the OCG
The OCG was founded in 1975. It is the umbrella group of Austrian associations, organizations and institutions, that deal with information technology.
OCGs aim is the extensive and interdisciplinary promotion of information technology and its use in business, science and administration. The effects on humans and society find special consideration.
To support this aim the
OCG sets a lot of activities - not only in Austria - and represents Austria
in international committees - such as the IFIP (International Federation for
Information Processing) or the CEPIS (Council
of European Professional Informatics Societies). More
2. The OCG and the topic "computer for handicapped people "Over 18 years the OCG emphasis on the topic "computer for handicapped people" and chooses it as its main matter of concern. 1989 the international conference ICCHP - International Conference Helping People with Special Needs – was organized by the OCG for the first time in Europe. Since 1990 this conference is organized every two years and is very successful. In 2016 the 15th ICCHP will take place in Austria, Linz Johannes Kepler University. Scientists of all five continents will take part and present their researches to the international public. For more detail see http://www.icchp.org and Additional to the international conference in the second part of the nineties the so called "IKT-Forum für Menschen mit Behinderungen: Praxis – Forschung – Entwicklung" has been created for affected and interested people in Austria. This is an informative conference which will now be organized every year in Austria.
In addition to these activities the association "Barrierefreiheit durch IKT (AK:BF-IKT)" (Information and Communikation Technology free of barriers for handicapped people and elderly) has been further extended. Today this association with its numerous experts has an extensive Know-how in the following areas:
The structure of the OCG-members
is additionally useful for dealing with the topic 'computer-aid for elderly
and handicapped people': There are not only very close contacts to the domestic
computer-business and their different communities of interests but also to numerous
domestic and foreign institutions and organizations. Particularly to relevant
developers and producers of friendly aids and adaptations for handicapped persons.
3. The OCG-participation in the IST-program
The IST-program of the 5th EU-framework picks up explicitely topics which should bring modern information technology nearer to elderly and handicapped people in the EU. Moreover the EU promotes especially all those activities that include various topics which are defined in the IST in the frame of the cross programs.
Because of its interdisciplinary
potential and its available resources the OCG is convinced that it can make
a valuable contribution to the efforts of integrating elderly and handicapped
people and dismantling barriers particularly in this thematic field; Additionally
supported by OCG-members which are affected themselves.
4. The network for elderly persons and people with special needs "NetofNeeds":
Within the framework of an IST-project a thematic network should be created with different national and international partners. This network should be able to keep itself after the completion of the project stage and its continued existence and further construction should be guaranteed by continuous updates.
The following draft proposal depends on the sponsored work-program by the EU according to the EU-5th and framework of research and technological development, IST-work-program 1999 - DG XIII. In consideration of the key action I: systems and services for people with special needs, action line I.3.1: information system as support for independent life in the EU. In future will be one key action of the work-program by the EU according to the EU-6th and framework of research and technological development, IST-work-program.
The network of information
for the needs of elderly and handicapped people should comprise the following
topics and should also give up-to-date answers to specific questions concerning
the above topic by using a simple search engine-technology:
research institutions orthopaedic-technical service institutions biomedical and medical-technical institutes places of training specific medical institutions possibilities for the care of the elderly persons mobile services for the advancement of a self-determinated life information associations, organizations etc. which are engaged in such problems
- international: ICCHP (takes place since 1989)
- national: ÖSTERREICHTAG (takes place since 1996)
- national: in the remaining countries of the EU in the national language (except Austria)
- mental handicapped people
- partially sighted and blind people
- speech disordered people and particularly for infants
- people with hearing defects and particularly for infants
- multiple handicapped people
- opportunities at the universities (eg: the Kepler University in Linz and the Technical University Vienna)
- private and public courses a.s.o., eg: ECDL barrierefrei
- tele-learning (eg: online training - Vienna, WIFI-Kapfenberg)
- city (orientation-) maps
- sanitary facilities designed for handicapped people
- public transport, possibilities of transport
- information to flights and trains
- places of events
Note: list in quality, not complete; to complete the content is part of the project.
NetofNeeds was an action of the OCG in the framework of the IST work-program 1999, in cooperation with national and international research institutions, companies and public and private institutions.
By using the experience made in the OCG and the relevant information of national and international events and the resulting connections to relevant institutions worldwide.
If the accumulated facts (collected in the OCG over 26 years the ICCHP) should be invested in an information technology then there has to be employed not only the newest key technology, but also to be developed a new platform which guarantees a "Return of Investment" in future.
© Willibald KREMSER May 13th 2015
Offenlegung nach dem Mediengesetz 2011:
Inhalt und Gestaltung:
Dipl.-Ing. Willibald Kremser
The Proposal NetofNeeds the user-friendly internet information system network for elderly persons and people with special needs project draft for the EU 5th framework IST workprogram 1999 DG XIII: More